Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dogs: Prelude

Dogs: Prelude Volume 0 by Shirow Miwa 


R to L (Japanese Style)


Mihai, the "Weepy Old Killer": A former hitman now trying to live a quiet life but haunted by the deaths of his victims and his lover

Badou, the "Gun Smoker": A chain-smoking "information broker" and hired gun whose reckless façade hides a serious intent.

Naoto, the "Blade Maiden": A preternaturally,  skilled swordswoman with a single desire: revenge against the assassin who cut down her family.

Heine, the "Stray Dog": A cipher with a metal collar bolted to his neck, a disturbing talent for mayhem, and a childhood sacrificed to a thing known as "Kerberos."

Driven by their ghosts-both dead and alive-and their desire for truth, all are struggling to solve the secrets of the past while surviving the dangerous present-by gun and sword and courage and luck.

M+ for Graphic Violence and Mature Themes


      I was first introduced to "Dogs" through the ever popular goodreads.com, where I had been mindlessly searching for something even remotely readable, unlike some of the other garbage I had been introduced to lately.    


     I didn't really expect much from it, having read other Seinen manga and having been...revolted by their perspective on women. But this was remarkably good, and, dare I say it?--Almost rivalling the artwork and storyline of Death Note.


     But maybe I'm being slightly too enthusiastic in my remembrance, as I've been known to be, but, that besides, you can trust me when I say that this manga won't disappoint.


     The art style is unique in the way that there is rarely a background to go with a scene, but in the case of Badou's tale the lack of background in the previous and later pages is made up for there. 


     The characters (in my opinion) are fresh and likeable (you can't help but chuckle at Mihai's and Badou's antics, and sympathise with Naoto and Heine), and the ending shouts out unfinished, I can't wait to see the series in action, and I'll try to get my hands on the next copy as soon as possible.


Vision- 4.5 stars
Originality- 5 stars
Technique- 4.5 stars
Imagination- 5 stars    


Overall Value- 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment